Use of personal information
As both the AA and Cigna will use your personal information, please use the links below to find out how your personal information will be used.
Please make sure that you read and understand this Data Protection notice as it explains to you what we will do with the information that you give us in respect of this insurance policy.
Protection and uses of your personal information
Your insurance policy is administered by Cigna Insurance Services (Europe) Limited ("Cigna").
When we use the terms ‘we’, ‘our’ or ‘us’ in this Data Protection notice, we mean Cigna.
The security of your personal information is very important to us. All personal information that is supplied to us either in respect of yourself or other individuals in connection with your products and/or services will be treated in confidence by us and may be used by us for the purpose of providing and administering our products and services.
We and companies within the Cigna corporate group may analyse the personal information you provide in combination with any other information that we lawfully hold or receive for the purposes of reviewing, assessing, tailoring and improving our products and services and similar products and services offered by the Cigna corporate group. We may also engage the services of third parties to perform any such analysis on our behalf, however in doing so we will ensure that all such activities are carried out in compliance with the applicable data protection legislation. In order to protect your privacy, we will anonymise any information we analyse as far as possible.
Your personal information and sensitive personal data may also be shared with the insurer and reinsurer of your policy. The insurer and/or reinsurer are the organisations which ultimately pay out on claims under your policy. It may also be necessary to pass this information to other companies for processing on our behalf, or to organisations with which we work to provide the benefits under your policy (for example, to a hospital which is responsible for any treatment you receive through your policy).
1Stop Travel Insurance is a trading style of the AA used under licence by Cigna Insurance Services (Europe) Ltd.
When we work with the AA to provide your insurance product, we will pass some information about you back to them so that they may use it to contact you about their products and services, in accordance with your communications preferences; and to review, assess, tailor and improve the products and services it offers.
Some of the companies or organisations to which we transfer your personal information may be based outside Europe in countries which may not have the laws to protect your personal information to the same standard as in Europe. However, in all cases we will ensure that the personal information we transfer is kept securely and only used for the purposes described in this notice.
Please note that for your and our mutual protection telephone calls to us may be monitored and/or recorded for the purposes of:
- establishing facts relevant to our business;
- checking that we comply with laws, regulations and self-regulatory procedures;
- checking and/or demonstrating the standards that we should be meeting, for example, for quality control and staff training purposes;
- preventing or detecting crime;
- investigating or detecting the unauthorised use of our systems, to secure our system and to ensure the effective operation of our systems.
Fraud Prevention, Detection and Claims History
In order to prevent and detect fraud we may at any time:
- Share information about you with other organisations and public bodies including the Police, loss adjustors and other third parties that we engage to investigate claims;
- Check and/or file your details with fraud prevention agencies and databases, and if you give us false or inaccurate information and we suspect fraud, we will record this. We, and other organisations involved in the administration of your policy, may also search these agencies and databases to:
- Help make decisions about the provision and administration of insurance, credit and related services for you and members of your household;
- Trace debtors or beneficiaries, recover debt, prevent fraud and to manage your accounts or insurance policies;
- Check your identity to prevent money laundering, unless you furnish us with other satisfactory proof of identity;
- Undertake credit searches and additional fraud searches.
We can supply on request further details of the databases we access or contribute to.
When we investigate some claims, we may conduct searches of publicly accessible information about you available on the internet, including using sources such as search engines and social media.
Customer Satisfaction Surveys
We aim to continuously improve the services we offer to our customers. Occasionally we carry out customer satisfaction surveys which may be for our own benefit or for more general interest, and we may need to collect further information about you in connection with them. Surveys will usually be carried out by us but in some circumstances we will use an external firm.
Your participation in such a survey is entirely optional but your help and feedback would be appreciated.
Contacting us and your rights in relation to your personal information
If you have any questions about the way in which we use your personal information, please contact the Customer Helpline or our Data Protection Officer at:
Cigna Insurance Services (Europe) Ltd, 1 Drake Circus, Plymouth, PL1 1QH
Telephone: 0330 100 7702
If you believe that we are holding inaccurate information about you in relation to your insurance policy, please contact us and we will be happy to correct any errors.
You have a right to access the personal information we hold about you. To obtain a copy, please contact us.
When we use the terms 'we', 'our' or 'us' in this Data Protection notice, we mean the AA, except in the Cigna Data Protection Policy which contains its own definitions.
1.1 The AA Group of companies (being AA plc, together with any entity in which AA plc directly or indirectly has at least a 50% shareholding*). ("we") will use your personal information for the following purposes**:
- to identify you when you contact us;
- to help identify accounts, services and/or products which you could have from us or selected partners from time to time. We may do this by automatic means using a scoring system, which uses the information you have provided, any information we hold about you and information from third party agencies (including credit reference agencies);
- to help administer, and contact you about improved administration of, any accounts, services and products we have provided before, or provide now or in the future;
- to carry out marketing analysis and customer profiling (including with transactional information), conduct research, including creating statistical and testing information;
- to help to prevent and detect fraud or loss;
- to contact you in any way (including mail, email, telephone, text or multimedia messages) about products and services offered by us and/or selected partners unless you have previously asked us not to use the relevant personal data for such purposes;
- to keep you up to date with AA Rewards offers under which you will be given AA Membership information and details of discounts and offers negotiated from time to time on behalf of AA Members. If you do not want to receive this benefit please write to the AA Data Protection Officer at the address given in clause 1.5 below;
1.2 We may allow other people and organisations to use information we hold about you for the purpose of providing services you have asked for, as part of the process of selling one or more of our businesses, or if we have been legitimately asked to provide information for legal or regulatory purposes or as part of legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings. From time to time, these service providers and organisations may be outside the European Economic Area in countries that do not have the same standards of protection for personal data as the UK. We will, however, always use every reasonable effort to ensure sufficient protections are in place to safeguard your personal information.
1.3 We may monitor and record communications with you (including phone conversations and emails) for quality assurance and compliance reasons.
1.4 We may check your details with fraud prevention agencies. If you provide false or inaccurate information and we suspect fraud, we will record this. We and other organisations may use and search these records to:
- help make decisions about credit related services for you and members of your household;
- help make decisions on motor, household, credit, life and other insurance proposals and insurance claims for you and other members of your household;
- trace debtors, recover debt, prevent fraud and to manage your accounts or insurance policies; and
- check your identity to prevent money laundering unless you give us other satisfactory proof of identity.
* A list of companies forming the AA Group of companies is available from the Data Protection Officer at the address given below in section 1.5
1.5 If you need details of those fraud prevention agencies from which we may obtain and with which we may record information about you, please write to The AA Data Protection Officer at The AA, Fanum House, Basingstoke, Hampshire, RG21 4EA.
1.6 Where you give us information on behalf of someone else, you confirm that you have provided them with the information set out in these provisions and that they have not objected to such use of their personal information. Where you give us sensitive data about yourself or another person (such as health details or details of any criminal convictions) you agree (and confirm that the other person has agreed) to our processing such information in the manner set out in these provisions.